School/University/Affiliation: Trois-Saisons , Terrebonne, Qc, Canada
Date: September 28, 1998
Grade Level(s): 6, 7, 8
Duration: Two-50 minute periods
Description: Students create their own Egyptian Cartouche with clay using Hieroglyphics
To introduce students to cultural artifacts
To enable students to develop a sense of symbolism
Objectives: To introduce students to the clay medium.
Materials: Clay, toothpicks
1. Introduce the historical features of the Egyptian Hieroglyphics.
2. Explain how the cartouche is done.
3. Ask students to create their own design of a cartouche. They can use real hieroglyphic symbols or create their own.
4. Once the student’s cartouche is finished, they can be fired in a kiln.
5. Assemble a yarn so that students can wear their cartouche as a pendant.
Use African or Asian designs.
Make a pot using Egyptian symbols to depict a story.